Cornwall: Land's End

Note: This post is the fifth in a series about my travel to Cornwall.
The rest in the series are listed below
1. Cornwall: One more time
2. Cornwall: Boscastle
3. Cornwall: Cornwall: Padstow and Porthcothan Bay
4. Cornwall: The Minack Theater and Porthcurno Beach

At the end of the world, view from Land's End
The name "Land's End" reminds me of the third movie in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. In this movie titled "At World's End," the protagonists travel to the end of the world in search of Jack Sparrow. Drawing analogy from the search for the frivolous pirate, I was gripped with a sense of adventure in my drive towards Land's End which was less than five miles from the Minack theater. Although the distance was small, there was a very rapid increase of adrenaline. I was surprised when I reached Land's End. There was strange silence in the air. It was not disturbing silence but a calming one.

Looking back, I was unsure of what I was expecting. I was not anticipating silence. Hence I was astonished. There was a signboard with arrows pointing to major cities and how far are they from Land's End. Such signs no longer hold interest for me. It is exciting to see such signs the first time. After having visited multiple points of interest around the world, such signs are no longer attractive. There are many things to enjoy, and the signboard is the least of them. The view was similar to what I had seen earlier at Boscastle from the lookout tower. The composition was slightly different. The sun was shining bright, and the water resembled milk because of the intense rays. 

After I absorbed the beauty that surrounded me, I found the silence to be appropriate. I was glad there was silence. Land's End is the furthest point on the west for England. What do you do when you have reached the end of a journey. You stop and reflect in silence. The moment was right and the silence was soothing. 

Comments

  1. The snippet about end of journey, silence and reflection is spot on. I believe that these are places where your inner connects to the outer. After all, what is a view if you cannot sit, take a breather and enjoy it in silence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are a lot of background noise on a beach. The bird and the people often make these places noisy. But there was a strange calmness on the beach that day. I equated it to reaching the end of journey and reflection. Now that the words are out of my system, I go back to my visits to beaches namely Alleppey and Thottappally. There was silence there too. I didn't realize it at that point. Call it experience, growing up etc. I also wonder how it would like it in Kanyakumari. That symbolizes an end of journey for all of us (coming from the subcontinent). Kashmir to Kanyakumari and not vice versa. Will we meet with this calming silence there?

      Delete

Post a Comment