Where is the time, dude?

When I came across the article on the free-time paradox, I was surprised. In a nutshell, the article states the rich has less time for leisure while the poor has more. The article came to my attention a few days after a friend commented on a workaholic friend. The workaholic friend featured twice in our conversations over a period. The last conversation was a few days before I came across this article.

In the first conversation, my friend extolled on one of the enviable characters of an ambitious person which our workaholic friend possessed. "Our workaholic friend is determined to get to the highest level in the organization. Our friend is constantly thinking about what next to do. All of us relax after achieving a certain threshold of success. We can't keep up the same energy levels. Our friend is tireless and enthusiastic." The second conversation was a melancholic one, awe giving way to concern. "Our friend is thinking of building an empire. He is constantly on emails or calls with his subordinates until early hours of the morning. As a result, his personal life is in shambles."

We make money to secure a peaceful future and to enjoy the finer things in life. But when we grow richer, we have lesser time for ourselves or our dear ones. The riches are never enough. I envy the poor people mentioned in the article. I wish I could just slack off. Then the reality dawns. They are living in their parent's place because they have avoided the errors made by mortals like me. The mortals yearn for companionship and a desire to produce better versions of themselves.


Photo Courtesy: JD Hancock

Comments